RENT VILLA PETRARCA
This two story three bedroom Villa Petrarca apartment is located in the historical villa at the top of the medieval old world district of Arezzo.
This two story three bedroom vacation home apartment is located in an historical villa on the hilltop in the medieval old world city. The ground floor entry hall is right off Via dell’ Orto. The entry looks out to the Arezzo Cathedral, the large vista view park and the Medici Fortress. The large furnished downstairs area includes a living/dining room with comfortable seating, dining for six, and kitchen with stove, oven, refrigerator, washing machine has a full compliment of dishes, silverware and cooking utensils. The upstairs 3 fully furnished double bed bedrooms include linens and bedding. The fully furnished bath with toilette, shower, badet and towels and linens. A fourth room is available as a study or reading room. Free TV/Cable and wifi Internet is also available. Outdoor gardens are available on both sides of the property.
The apartment offers modern world charm while providing easy access to a wide variety of adventures being located near shopping and historic Eurtrscan buildings. Noted for monthly antique sales throughout the city. The apartment serves as an excellent home base for visits to Tuscany, Umbria and other destinations such as Rome, Florence and Venice. Both the Autostrada and high speed train services serve the city. Most everything is within walking distance… Train station and the country side wineries.
Arezzo can be reached by flying to Italian major international airports in Rome and Milan, or to the two airports in Tuscany: Pisa International Airport Galileo Galilei (IATA:PSA), located 1.5km (1 mile) south of Pisa city centre. Florence Airport Amerigo Vespucci (IATA:FLR), Located four kilometers from the center of Florence.
By train… Arezzo’s train station, which is located at the edge of the historic old town, offers frequent connections to cities like Florence and Rome.
Taxi and bus service is readily available.
Arezzo has much to offer although it generally is not included in the main itineraries of Tuscany. If you’re visiting Tuscany for the first time, then there are certainly other places in Tuscany more famous that merit being visited during your short vacation. But if you’re returning to Tuscany and want to see more of the beauties Tuscany is well-known for, make your way to Arezzo and the surrounding countryside. You’ll find less visitors and many more locals, as well as the many treasures in the towns and castles that played an important role in the history of Tuscany. Visit Cortona, Anghiari, Monterchi and Sansepolcro (if you love Piero della Francesca) and the beautiful castle of Poppi – these are just some of the most beautiful towns in the province of Arezzo that wait to be discovered on your Tuscan trip.
Arezzo is a hill top city in Tuscany, Italy that was an important Etruscan town. It was known to the Romans as Arretium. Arezzo was established in the 11th century. a free commune, siding with the Ghibellines. Arezzo is also famous for Guido d’Arezzo, the Medieval abbot who originated solfeggio (the mnemonic music system known to many from the song in The Sound of Music that starts ‘Doe, a deer’). Nowadays, it is an agricultural trade center and has machine, clothing, gold, and jewelry industries and is also a tourist center.
Arezzo is one of the wealthiest cities in Tuscany. Located in southeastern Tuscany, it sits atop a hill (where else?) at the crossroads of four valleys: Val Tiberina, Casentino, Valdarno and Valdichiana.
The Villa Petrarca was named after the great poet Francesco Petrarca. Francesco Petrarca (1304-1374), the first great lyric poet of our literature, is considered one of the ‘founding fathers’ of the Italian language. His main work, yet vital for language and sentiments, is the Canzoniere: more than three hundred poems, mostly sonnets dedicated to Laura, the woman he loved.
The actual construction of the Borgo dell’orto (the historical address of the house) was built in the sixteenth century, on the ruins of a medieval building traditionally considered the birthplace of the poet. In fact, most times Petrarch claims to be born in Arezzo in one of his letters, also states that, returning to Rome after the jubilee of 1350, he came back in Arezzo, where the citizens welcomed him made him and brought him to see his birthplace, in his honor and name the local authorities never changed a stone from the original one.
The building was a private residence for many years , then became the headquarters of the Police of Arezzo, and remained so until 1926, when it was restored. Currently, it houses the prestigious Academy of Arts and Letters of Petrarch, and maintains an extensive library, whose core is made from the fund donated by Francesco Redi, with valuable incunabula editions and antiquarian, as well as a valuable collection of paintings of value. The Academy also has a fine collection of coins from various eras.
Its ancient origins are verified by the stone tools and the so-called Man of the Elm discovered here and found to date back to the Paleolithic era. The Etruscan Arretium was founded around 9th century B.C., and quickly became one of the most important cities in Tuscany, playing an important role over the centuries due to its strategic position along the Via Cassia.
Even though the Medieval center was destroyed during the World War II, Arezzo has plenty of monuments, churches and museums remaining that offer visitors a chance to step back into history. The Church of San Francesco is probably the most famous in Arezzo, with the incredible Early Renaissance fresco cycle by Piero della Francesca depicting the Legend of the True Cross. You should then head uphill to the Medicean Fortress, visit the Cathedral dedicated to San Donato, then back down to the Roman Amphitheater and the Church of San Domenico with the wooden Crucifix by Cimabue.
Described by Livy as one of the Capitae Etruriae (Etruscan capitals), Arezzo (Aritim in Etruscan) is believed to have been one of the twelve most important Etruscan cities—the so-called Dodecapolis, part of the Etruscan League. Etruscan remains establish that the acropolis of San Cornelio, a small hill next to that of San Donatus, was occupied and fortified in the Etruscan period. There is other significant Etruscan evidence: parts of walls, an Etruscan necropolis on Poggio del Sole (still named ‘Hill of the Sun’), and most famously, the two bronzes, the ‘Chimera of Arezzo’ (5th century BC) and the ‘Minerva’ (4th century BC) which were discovered in the 16th century and taken to Florence. Increasing trade connections with Greece also brought some elite goods to the Etruscan nobles of Arezzo: the krater painted by Euphronios ca 510 BC with a battle against Amazons (in the Museo Civico, Arezzo 1465) is unsurpassed.
Roman pottery sherd from Arezzo, Latium, found at Arikamedu in India (1st century AD), an evidence of the role of the city in Roman trade with India through Persia during the Augustan period. Musée Guimet. Conquered by the Romans in 311 BC, Arretium became a military station on the via Cassia, the road to expansion by republican Rome into the basin of the Po. Arretium sided with Marius in the Roman Civil War, and the victorious Sulla planted a colony of his veterans in the half-demolished city, as Arretium Fidens (‘Faithful Arretium’). The old Etruscan aristocracy was not extinguished: Gaius Cilnius Maecenas, whose name is eponymous with ‘patron of the arts’, was of the noble Aretine Etruscan stock. The city continued to flourish as Arretium Vetus (‘Old Arretium’), the third largest city in Italy in the Augustan period, well known in particular for its widely-exported pottery manufactures, the characteristic moulded and glazed Arretine ware, bucchero-ware of dark clay and red-painted vases (the so-called ‘coral’ vases).
Around 26-261 AD the town council of Arezzo dedicated an inscription to its patron L. Petronius Taurus Volusianus. See that article for discussion of the possible political/military significance of Volusianus’s association with the city.
The current fortress is a massive polygonal construction included perfectly in the town walls. It was built under the direction of Antonio da Sangallo (the Younger) and Nanni Unghero between 1538 and 1560 on the site of the old medieval cittadella, which had been razed to the ground because it was in the way of the line of fire of the cannons, and englobed most of the trapezoid Forte designed by Giuliano and Antonio (the Elder) da Sangallo at the beginning of the 16th century.
The bulwarks of the east side (those of the Ponte di Soccorso and the Chiesa, which are recognizable because of their sticking out shape) and a few stretches of curtain are left from the older construction. The bastions of the west side (known as the Belvedere, Spina and Diacciaia), and the interior, consisting of an intricate network of by and large impracticable rooms, tunnels, wells and air inlets situated at various levels, belong to the new part.
The Fortress, which originally had three gates and was surrounded by a wide moat, was in working order until the late eighteenth century. In the year 1800, it was partially dismantled by the French troops; on the west side we can still see the damage caused by a powerful explosive.
The wide and panoramic view from the glacis dominates the town, the Aretine plain, the Arno valley, the Pratomagno massif, the Alpe di Catenaia and peaks of Poti and Lignano.
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 62 bytes) in /home/content/06/4887106/html/howtofixlifestyle/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1911